Sunday, July 11, 2010

Love of Books

I love to read. I have always loved to read. I don't remember picking up my first book. I don't remember what my favorite book was a child. I simply remember being surrounded by books and wanting to read everything I could. I remember keeping a flashlight next to my bed to read under the covers. I remember numerous trips to the library. 


I remember going shopping with my grandmother at an amazing bookstore in St. Petersburg, FL. We would go there in the summer when we came to visit her in Florida. She would tell me the amount she was going to spend on  me for Christmas and let me choose the equivalent in books. I remember realizing that if I chose the used books over the brand new books, I could get much more for my money. I also remember being frustrated because she would put the books away until Christmas and not let me have any of the books then.

I remember eating lunch at school with a book in my hand, flipping pages as quickly as I could in order to get to the next chapter before the lunch bell rang. I remember staying up all night to read and trying to explain to my parents (and now my husband) why I was so sleepy in the morning.

Have I proven my love for books and reading? Then you can imagine my shock and horror when I logged into my Shelfari account that adds my reading list of books to my blog and saw this message:

You’ve read 1 book this year. Last year you read 8 books, so you’re behind your pace.

Ouch. I take great offense to that. Doesn't Shelfari know that I now have two jobs, three kids, a husband, a house, a youth group, and countless other responsibilities? Who are they to say I am behind my pace? Who are they to judge me?

I guess I am going to have to make up for lost time while I am on vacation next week. That is if I don't want to spend any time with my family, lounge in the pool, hang out with my nephews and nieces, play games with my brothers and sisters-in-laws, etc.

What's the best book you've read in a while? Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment